The Canadian Red Cross Child Care First Aid course provides 8 hours of instruction, focusing on common traumatic and medical injuries that occur to infants and children.
The Child Care First Aid course can be taught over 1 full day, or 2 evening sessions. Group and private courses can be scheduled flexibly to meet the needs of the client.
In this course you will learn about:
- The Red Cross
- Preparing to respond (The Good Samaritan Act, prevention of disease transmission, first aid kits)
- The EMS system
- Patient assessment (check, call, care)
- Managing airway emergencies (choking in babies, children, adults)
- Managing breathing & circulation emergencies (asthma, anaphylaxis, croup, epiglottitis, SIDS, deadly bleeding, respiratory & cardiac arrest)
- Performing CPR & using an AED
- Managing head & spine injuries (including shaken baby syndrome)
- Treating fractures & sprains
- Providing wound care
- Treating sudden medical emergencies (fainting, diabetes, seizures)
- Caring for environmental emergencies & Poisons
- The recognition & reporting of suspected child abuse
- Child safety
All of our First Aid, CPR and AED courses follow the latest standards put out by the International Liaison Committee on Resuscitation (ILCOR), the Canadian Red Cross (CRC), and the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada (HSFC).
Who is this course appropriate for?
In British Columbia the Child Care First Aid course is recognized by The Community Care Licensing Branch (under The Community Care and Assisted Living Act) as an appropriate course:
- New parents
- New grandparents
- Siblings of young children
- Early childhood educators
- Anyone involved in the care of an infant or child
What do I need to do to pass?
Successful completion of the Child Care First Aid course is based on 100% attendance, ongoing skills evaluation throughout the course, and a 75% or better mark on a knowledge examination.
How much does the course cost?
The Child Care First Aid course costs $105 per participant, which includes all taxes and a full colour manual (digital copy).
How long is the certificate good for?
Canadian Red Cross Child Care First Aid certification is valid for 3 years.
How do I register for a Child Care First Aid Course?
Our Child Care First Aid courses are currently offered on a group course basis only, and are available to groups of 8 or more throughout the Greater Vancouver area (Vancouver, Burnaby, New Westminster, Port Moody, Coquitlam, Port Coquitlam, Maple Ridge, Langley, Cloverdale, Surrey, White Rock, Delta, Richmond, North Vancouver, West Vancouver) and the Fraser Valley (Mission, Aldergrove, Abbotsford, Chilliwack).
To book a Child Care First Aid course for a group of 8 or more please CONTACT US.