First Responders play a vital role in the EMS system, providing professional care until paramedics arrive to care for the patient.
During the course you will learn how to:
- Control emergency scenes
- Conduct detailed patient assessments on medical and trauma patients
- Manage life threatening airway, breathing and circulation emergencies
- Obtain the patient’s vital signs and medical history
- Stabilize and treat head and spinal injuries, fractures, and soft tissue injuries
- Manage patients experiencing medical emergencies such as heart attacks, strokes, diabetic emergencies, seizures, overdoses, asthma attacks, etc
- Hand the patient off to the paramedics when they arrive
For a complete list of what is taught in the Canadian Red Cross First Responder Course please click HERE.