How much experience do I need to become a first aid instructor?
The pre-requisites to become a new first aid instructor are to:
- be at least 18 years of age
- hold a valid Standard First Aid with CPR-HCP certificate
The Canadian Red Cross First Aid and CPR / AED instructor course will then give you the skills you will need to teach effectively.
There are several things you can do to strengthen your skills and knowledge though:
- Take advanced first aid courses to strengthen your knowledge of first aid. We highly recommend the Red Cross First Responder course as an excellent starting point.
- We always recommend auditing or co-teaching with experienced Red Cross first aid instructors.
- If you would like to further your understanding if adult education you should look into the Vancouver Community College School of Instruction. Their website is www.instructordiploma.com